Google+

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Playing with Bears and Crayons


These are more of the Build A Bear cards I made.  The watercolor crayons are really fun!  I am going through my catalog to see what other stamps sets will work well with the watercolors. 

Here are a couple of tips for using the watercolor crayons:

  1. Stamp on watercolor paper.  The watercolor paper doesn't pill and the color seems to flow better.
  2. Use Stazon ink.  Basic Black ink will work too, but you need to let it dry for a while before watercoloring.
  3. I used a piece of parchment paper as a palette.  Just scribble patches of the colors you want to use then soak up the color with a wet brush or aqua painter.
  4. Apply color to the edges of the image then pull color towards the center with water.  Apply more paint to add shadows.
  5.  Have fun and practice.  I had to keep reminding myself that if I screwed up, it was only paper. And it definitely took me several tries to get a technique that I was happy with.
For these cards I used Taken with Teal as a base. This color as well as the rest of the colors in these cards will soon be retired.  I'm excited to be getting new colors but I really am sad to see some of my favorites leaving.

Materials:
  • Stamp Set:  Beary Best Friends (#118052 - $18.95)
  • Ink: Basic Black or Black Stazon
  • Card Stock: Taken With Teal, Summer Sun, Pixie Pink, Ruby Red
  • Sweet Pea Designer Paper (retired)
  • Watercolor Paper
  • Watercolor Wonder Crayons: Earth Elements (106696 - $19.95) Bold Brights (106695 - $19.95)
  • Aqua Painter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: